* Remove mushrooms from your yard and securely dispose of them. “Their fecal matter may contain organisms, such as roundworms, that might infecthumans,” he said. “These organisms can get on the leaves or fruit of plants. And if thefruits aren’t washed thoroughly, the organisms may be eaten and cause health problems.” The Georgia Poison Center recommends you: It’s fun to include children in gardening, so don’t let the risk persuade you to keep themout. Just take precautions. Symptoms of plant poisoning in children may include skin irritation, vomiting, diarrheaand, in severe cases, delirium and death. “You see very few potato seed pods in Georgia,” McLaurin said. “They look like smalltomatoes, but they’re not for eating.” The pods contain alkaloids that can make you sick. For the same reason, never use dog or cat fecal matter in a compost pile. “Tomato leaves and stems may cause upset stomach,” said Wayne McLaurin, ahorticulturist with the University of Georgia Extension Service. To learn more about backyard garden safety, contact your county office of the UGAExtension Service. Or call the Georgia Poison Center at 1-800-282-5846 and request “TheSafe and Sorry of Common Plants.” McLaurin feels a home garden is the perfect place to teach children where their food reallycomes from. Pets, on the other hand, have no place in the garden. “Kids will trample plants, pick unripe fruit and become a problem in general unless youteach them the proper way to conduct themselves in the garden,” McLaurin said. “Teachthem the right way first. And try to make gardening a pleasant experience, as well as alearning experience.” * Keep a bottle of syrup of ipecac on hand to induce vomiting if necessary. Use syrup ofipecac only on the advice of the Poison Center or your doctor. * Become familiar with first aid for plant poisoning. Remove any part of the plant thathasn’t been swallowed, and call the Poison Center immediately. “Pets should be kept out of the garden for obvious reasons,” McLaurin said. “They digand make nuisances of themselves.” Remember, too, to keep chemicals away from children in the garden. And keep childrenand pets out of the garden if you recently sprayed fertilizer, herbicides or pesticides. “Most poisoning from plants comes from rubbing up against the plant, not from actuallyeating it,” McLaurin said. * Don’t eat wild plants or mushrooms. Teach your children never to put leaves, stems,flowers, nuts, berries or seeds from any plant into their mouths. According to the Georgia Poison Center, indoor and outdoor plants are among the mostcommon causes of poisonings in children. Plants can cause severe injury and even death ifswallowed by humans or animals. * Label each plant and keep a list of your plants on hand so babysitters can have access tothe list in an emergency. When we think of poison plants in the landscape, poison ivy and poison oak are first onthe list. But it’s a long list that includes favorite flowers and even tomato vines. Common landscape plants that can harm children and pets include azaleas, boxwoods,English ivy, foxglove, hyacinths and wisteria. So can other vegetable plant parts, such as pepper stems and the potato seed pods thatform on the top of the potato plant after blooming. * Know the names of all plants in and around your home. Learn to recognize them bysight and name. An even greater danger is what they can leave behind.