Tag: 御凤阁

Audit of coroners and cemeteries sought to establish number of unidentified…

first_imgWATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Email Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash TAGSKeeping Limerick PostedlimerickLimerick Post Linkedin Roisin Upton excited by “hockey talent coming through” in Limerick RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Advertisement Previous articleWATCH: Cian Lynch shows off his skills to promote Team Limerick Clean UpNext articleTom Savage: Good clubs are built on the work and character of men like Billy Holland David Raleigh WhatsAppcenter_img Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live A LABOUR TD has called on the Minister for Justice to appoint an agency to carry out a national audit of coroners and cemeteries to establish the number of unidentified bodies in the State, in order to try to help families of missing persons perhaps find their missing loved ones.The call, by Deputy Duncan Smith, comes exactly a month after gardai informed the family of Limerick man Denis Walsh – who was declared missing for 25 years – that his unidentified remains had actually been found four weeks after he went missing on March 9th, 1996.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up It also emerged Mr Walsh’s remains were held in storage at the Mortuary at University Hospital Galway for 18 years, before being laid to rest at a Galway County Council communal graveyard in Bohermore, in 2014.Gardai were notified on February 5th last, that because of advances in DNA profiling, it could be confirmed that human remains found on the shore at Inis Mor, on April 7, 1996, were that of Mr Walsh.Denis Walsh’s family continue to ask questions as to how his body was not identified sooner, and why they had not been informed at the time of an unidentified partial body being found.Mr Walsh’s parents said they dropped flyers with Denis’s photograph into Garda stations in Galway the day before discovery of remains on Inis Mor.The couple returned to Galway a month later to drop more flyers around Galway, a day before gardai appealed for information on RTE Crimeline about the discovery of their son’s unidentified remains.“There was no connection made, as far as we can see,” Denis Walsh’s brother, Paul, told this reporter last month.“How come the gardaí at the time did not join up the dots sooner? Did no garda in Galway check what people were reported missing around that time, and was no garda in Limerick aware of a body being found in Galway? I’m not satisfied,” added the deceased’s heartbroken Denis Walsh snr.The family have sought permission to exhume Mr Walsh’s remains and lay him to rest finally in his native Limerick.Many other families of missing persons have now been left pondering whether their missing loved one’s remains have been buried or are they still be held in storage.In a statement today, Deputy Duncan Smith said: “In Ireland, there are 823 missing persons files open. However, there is no record of how many remains have been interred in cemeteries, or remain in morgues, as the current rules regulating coroners does not compel them to report unidentified remains to a central system.““There is no one individual or authority with responsibility for collating all the unidentified remains that have been found in this country. We literally do not know how many unidentified remains have been interred in cemeteries or remain in morgues as rules regulating coroners does not compel them to report unidentified remains to a central repository.”“This is set against a total of 823 current missing persons files currently open, the oldest dating back to 1951.“Deputy Smith said coroners “are not compelled“ to report how many unidentified bodies are in the country, “which has led to the perverse situation where families of missing persons must go to individual coroners’ and graveyards to seek information relating to their loved one”.“One family described this process as like going to 40 lost and found desks. At a time of horrendous heartbreak, it’s simply unacceptable that families of missing persons would be treated this way by the State,” he said.“I am calling on the Minister for Justice to right this wrong for families. If coroners cannot find out the ‘how’, they certainly don’t have to find out the who.”“The Corners must be compelled to keep records of unidentified bodies, identifying the cause of their death and opening a system that would reunite the remains of these people with their family and loved ones.““The media has gone above the call of duty for many of these families, searching for answers to these harrowing stories of loss. Instead of having families turn to journalists and the media to solve the mystery of missing persons, the State must play an active role in trying to solve these cases and bring truth to families after the headlines have moved on.” Donal Ryan names Limerick Ladies Football team for League opener Twitter Facebook LimerickNewsAudit of coroners and cemeteries sought to establish number of unidentified remains, in order to help bring closure for families of missing personsBy David Raleigh – March 6, 2021 107 Print Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live last_img read more

New Jersey police may arrest drivers who have yet to return $188K that spilled out of truck onto highway

first_imgWABC-TV(NEW YORK) — It was the best of the Christmas spirit, and it was the worst of the Christmas spirit.New Jersey officials said that more than $114,000 of about $510,000 in cash that spilled out of the two plastic bags in the back of a Brinks armored truck earlier this month has been returned by drivers — and that another roughly $200,000 was gathered on scene and returned to the Brinks drivers.But about $188,000 in cash remains missing, according to police officials in East Rutherford, New Jersey.Video capturing the incident shows stunned motorists pulling their cars over and rushing onto a busy highway, grabbing at bills fluttering through the air — and causing multiple car accidents.Still, more than $188,000 remains missing, and presumably is still in the hands of some of those motorists — who could be arrested if police track them down before they come forward voluntarily.Captain Phillip Taormina with the East Rutherford Police Department told ABC News that police were looking at license plate cameras, Department of Transportation cameras, and cameras from MetLife Stadium and the New Jersey Turnpike to identify motorists involved in the incident.Taormina also said other motorists had turned in dash cameras and cell phone footage.He said everyone who has returned the money came forward themselves, and that charges would be pursued against anyone who police identified through video.Police said the truck’s rear passenger door opened due to a mechanical issue as it was driving along Route 3 that morning when the two plastic bags fell out of the open back door and flew open, scattering across the highway and being blown around by “vehicle traffic along with the windy weather conditions.”Videos taken by other motorists showed the money on the road and other drivers abandoning their vehicles to chase the cash, which police said caused accidents.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Breakfast burrito the latest recall for contamination

first_imgNationwide— Ruiz Food Products Inc. is recalling approximately 55,013 pounds of frozen, not ready-to-eat breakfast burrito products containing eggs, sausage, and cheese that may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically pieces of plastic, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.The frozen breakfast burrito products were produced on October 15, 2019. The following products are subject to recall: 38-lb. Value Pack, containing 12 individually wrapped, 4.5-oz. “EL MONTEREY Signature BURRITO EGG, SAUSAGE & CHEESE” with a “Best if Used By” date of 01/15/2021 and a lot code of 19288.The products subject to recall bear establishment number “EST 45694” printed on the value pack bag and the individual wrappings, next to the lot code. These items were shipped to retail locations nationwide.                              The problem was discovered when the firm notified the Food Safety and Inspection Service of three consumer complaints involving pieces of white, semi-rigid plastic found in the product.There have been no confirmed reports of injuries due to the consumption of these products. Anyone concerned about an injury or illness should contact a healthcare provider.   Food Safety and Inspection Service is concerned that some product may be in consumers’ freezers. Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them. These products should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase.last_img read more

Local High-School Sailors Find Tough Going in New Hampshire

first_imgWOLFBORO, N.H. — Some big fish from the Maine high-school sailing world went swimming in a larger pond last weekend and found the water was full of sharks.Last Saturday, George Stevens Academy and Mount Desert Island High School each sent two crews to Brewster Academy on Lake Winnipesaukee in northern New Hampshire to race in the qualifying round for the O’Day Championship Regatta. On the water with them were teams from nine other public and private high schools from around New England.In all, some 60 secondary schools raced at five sites throughout New England on Saturday trying to qualify for the O’Days. The top three finishers from each venue qualified to race in the finals in Portland Harbor on Sunday.Both schools finished out of the top three, MDI in sixth place, GSA in seventh, but MDI was tied for fourth place after three sets (six races) had been sailed.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textAlthough the teams both finished in the middle of the pack, both schools’ Division A crews sailed extremely well against some very serious competition.GSA’s Johnny Jagger and crew Jen Powell had second and fourth-place finishes and were headed for a third in the day’s final race when the rudder fell off their boat. MDI’s Tyler Steel and Liana Folger sandwiched two third place finishes between a 10th and a ninth.The racing was a little tougher for the Division B crews. GSA sent out two freshmen, skipper Courtney Koos and crew Tess Lameyer. The lightest crew, they did well in the light breeze, but their inexperience kept them near the back of the fleet. Senior Solomon Krevans drove MDI’s B boat, and managed two creditable fifth-place finishes.For more maritime news, pick up a copy of The Ellsworth American. Bio Latest Posts Latest posts by Nicole Ouellette (see all) Hold the pickles and the piercings, please – April 28, 2015center_img Kickstarter has lots of gray areas – May 5, 2015 Nicole OuelletteColumnist at Breaking Even CommunicationsWhen Nicole isn’t giving advice she’s completely unqualified to give, she runs an Internet marketing company in Bar Harbor, where she lives with her husband Derrick and their short dog Gidget. She loves young adult novels, cooking and talking French to anyone who’ll talk back. [email protected] Ask Nicole: What do I do about ignorant Internet commenters? – April 21, 2015last_img read more