Tag: 重庆找个靠谱上门

US Envoy Wants Liberian Women to Contest in 2017

first_imgThe Charge d’Affairs at United States Embassy, Sheila Paskman, has urged Liberian women to rise to the occasion and challenge their male counterparts by winning more top positions, especially elective positions, in 2017 general and presidential elections.“I want to urge Liberian women to take bold steps and participate in the upcoming 2017 elections to secure seats in the legislature,” she said. Madam Paskman also mentioned that with Liberia having Africa’s first female President, there are fewer women in top positions in government, especially appointed positions, and encouraged women to fight for more seats in government.She made the statement recently at a program marking Mercy Corps’ Ebola Community Action Platform (ECAP2) 3rd Lessons Learned Conference, held at a resort in Paynesville, outside Monrovia.The participation of women in government remains key because women are peacemakers and can contribute immensely to Liberia’s economy, said Paskman.“You need to also participate in the registration process and ensure that you are not only contesting but also involved into all related processes. You need to encourage other women in your community. Liberian women’s participation in these elections remains cardinal to their empowerment and development,” she said.Women should make politicians listen to them because that’s the only way their potentials can be realized Paskman advised.“It’s very serious because women must participate in the election process by encouraging women in villages, towns, communities and every part of the country to register in order to have more women heading major seats in the government,” she said.She pointed out that women play a major role in every society, especially when it comes to making decisions and also help other women to achieve their goals.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Jagdeo unbothered by SARA lawsuit over “Pradoville 2”

first_img– describes it as “Silly” and “politically motivated”Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo has confirmed receiving a lawsuit from the State Assets Recovery Agency (SARA) over purchased land at “Pradoville 2” located at Sparendaam, East Coast Demerara, but has described it as silly and politically motivated.“Yes, I have received it, I am responding to it… my lawyers are responding to it… I didn’t even look at it; I heard it came and I told the guys to send it over to the lawyers… it’s a political matter, I don’t waste my time… it a routine matter for me,” he told the media on Thursday.Jagdeo said the Director and Deputy Director of SARA, Professor Clive Thomas and Aubrey Heath-Retemyer are holding their respective posts illegally. The Opposition has argued that the SARA Act provides very clearly that their appointments shall be made through a parliamentary process. Since that Act came into force last year, that process was never activated.The Opposition has argue too that a transition provision in the Act allowed the Director who operated in the agency before the Act came into force, to continue to act in that office for a limited period. They noted however that that period has long expired.Jagdeo said he recalled that SARA had stated publicly that they are working on some high-profile cases, with recoveries above US$10 million and these cases would be filed by the third quarter of 2018, which they did not. Instead, they have gone to the Pradoville issue.“SOCU (Special Organised Crime Unit), SARA nor FIU (Financial Intelligence Unit) have not charged a single drug dealer, they have not launched a single cases against or recovered a single cent from anybody. Now Pradoville is the only case after we have spent close to $600-$700 million on hiring the geriatric cabal at SARA,” he added.The former President has also made it clear that he would not pay a single cent more for the land, even if he was asked to pay a difference by SARA. “Why would I waste my time behind an adventure which is a political matter…?” Jagdeo said, when pressed for an answer.Jagdeo had said that SARA is just another mean for the Government to secure employment for retired citizens. “If you shut down SARA, you can hire 400 people. Where are these US$10 million cases that SARA was supposed to discover, (they said) that how many people had US$10 million and above abroad. What is happening with them? They are just wasting our money.”The Opposition has also spoken about the directors known and professed political connections. Professor Thomas is a leader of the Working People’s Alliance (WPA), one of the political parties in the coalition Government.On the other hand, Heath-Retemyer was quoted in the press as conceding that he has a political affiliation. He did not disclose to which political party he is aligned. Tacuma Ogunseye and Desmond Trotman, two longstanding leaders of the WPA were also employed by the agency.last_img read more

Prison rioting feared

first_imgState prison officials hoped that 2,260 inmates would volunteer for the transfers, but the response was far less than they had hoped. Just 460 inmates took the offer. In response, Corrections Secretary James Tilton announced earlier this month that California will begin forcing transfers. The state hopes to move up to 5,000 inmates to private prisons in Arizona, Indiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Tennessee.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Two state employee unions, including the one representing prison guards, challenged the order on two points. They said it violates the Emergency Powers Act and a provision in the state constitution that prohibits using private companies for jobs usually performed by state workers. Union attorney Gregg Adams said state law reserves emergency declarations for unforeseen disasters that overwhelm local authorities. It should not be used to address predictable situations such as crowding in prisons, he said. “It makes no sense to me that an illegality can be justified by a danger to the public,” he said. Sacramento County Superior Court Judge Gail Ohanesian said Schwarzenegger’s declaration might have overstepped state law but delayed a decision in the case. The judge said she will consider whether the public safety threat outweighs any harm to the unions. The prison guards and the Service Employees International Union filed suit in October, after the state entered no-bid contracts with two companies that operate private prisons. SACRAMENTO – Overcrowding is fueling violence inside California’s prisons and creating an atmosphere primed for a major riot, a state attorney said Friday during court arguments over Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger’s decision to send prisoners to other states. As an example, Deputy Attorney General Vickie Whitney cited a Dec. 30 brawl by hundreds of inmates at the California Institution for Men in Chino that injured more than 50 inmates. “It’s because of very crowded situations, and it’s a miracle that something more dangerous hasn’t occurred that’s going to imperil not only correctional officers but inmates and the public,” Whitney told reporters after the court hearing. Severe overcrowding prompted Schwarzenegger to declare an emergency in October and order thousands of inmates to be transferred to private prisons in other states. last_img read more