Tag: 上海 t台海选 水磨

Polar Barely

first_imgI was tired of the same old New Year’s routine — drinking champagne, lighting a few crummy fireworks, watching the ball drop. I needed a new tradition, and jumping into a half-frozen lake seemed as good as any. So I signed up for a polar bear swim—an out-and-back 50 meters in a mountain lake on the first day of the new year.Hung over and half asleep, I drove two hours through the mountains and arrived at Lake Chatuge just before noon. Sixteen other shivering swimmers huddled around a campfire along the shore, trying to stay warm in 30-degree weather and flag-whipping winds. I squeezed in between a crew-cut army cadet, two teenage girls, and an overweight man wearing Spandex.“Do we tip-toe into the water or dive in?” asked one of the girls.“Gotta hit it hard,” the cadet said stoically.At least one hundred spectators lined the lake, waiting to see a bunch of half-naked Southerners act like Eskimos. Some watched from the warmth of their cars. Minutes before the start, the organizer pulled a thermometer from the water: 46 degrees Fahrenheit.The cold truth was starting to sink in: I really had to go through with this. I had to get in that water and swim 50 meters — two full swimming pool lengths. Though I’d competed in dozens of triathlons, I had never felt more nervous than at the starting line of a mere 50-meter swim. My teeth were chattering, my arms twitched, my goose-pimpled skin shook uncontrollably — and I hadn’t even touched my toes to the water yet.Waiting made it worse. Just thinking about the swim made me cold. I jumped up and down, pretended to stretch, and even ran a few barefoot sprints along the rocky, frost-covered lakeshore to stay warm. Then, back at the boat ramp, I listened to a wife berating her husband as he undressed.“You warm up your shower water before you get in every morning, for Chrissakes! How are you going to swim around in a freezing lake?”But the husband would not be dissuaded. He quickly stripped off his clothes, handed them to his wife, and joined the other swimmers milling around on the boat ramp making jokes.“Weather’s bit nipply out here, wouldn’t you say?”“It takes some balls to be out here.”“Yeah — blue, shriveled, marble-sized ones.”At high noon, the organizer yelled “GO!” and we herded into the lake. Swimmers whooped and shouted as they plunged in. I high-stepped out as far as I could, then dove headlong into the lake. When I popped up, my mind completely shut down. I was all body and instinct. Panic poured through my muscles. I was hyperventilating and hypothermic. Frantically I threw my arms in front of me and swam toward the orange buoy. It looked a lot farther away than a pool-length.I was breathing too rapidly to put my face underwater; instead I was splashing across the lake with a spastic, all-arms, head-out-of-the-water stroke. Frenzied swimmers collided with me as we rounded the buoy. Trickles of laughter from onshore spectators drifted across the water.On the long swim back to the boat ramp, my adrenaline-fueled muscles slowed. Icy blood coursed through my veins. My arms slapped against the water. I floundered forward, meter by meter. Finally my knuckles scraped the sandy bottom, and I felt my brain click back on.I climbed out and felt rejuvenated. After numbing myself in the lake, I felt the glow of life so much more intensely. Every sensation was heightened. Scalp tingles surged electricity down my spine.Blue-faced and panting, I put on my clothes and watched the rest of the swimmers slugging toward shore. Rescuers in oar boats threw life jackets and float rings to struggling swimmers. Two guys had to be helped to shore. The teenage girls stumbled out of the water together, holding hands and hugging each other. The army cadet was close behind.After three minutes, everyone had made it back — except three especially cold-blooded polar bears. They were still wading offshore to see who could stay in the lake the longest. One kicked his feet in the air as if lounging in a warm bathtub. Their breath visibly condensed in the frozen air. After five minutes, nobody had flinched. Finally, to break the tie, the three swimmers raced back to the boat ramp.Afterward, we all crouched around the bonfire sipping hot chocolate. I warmed myself inside a circle of other hardy, grizzled beasts. I was one of them now. I was a Polar Bear cub.I couldn’t wait to get back home and hibernate.Polar PlungesJanuary 1: LAKE LURE, N.C.January 17: WESTMINSTER, MDJanuary 25: BLOWING ROCK, N.C.January 26: CHATTANOOGA, TENN.FEBRUARY 1: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA.FEBRUARY 9: MORGANTOWN, W.VA.FEBRUARY 16: LAKE LANIER, GA.FEBRUARY 25: RALEIGH, N.C.last_img read more

Luxemburg inducts three into hall of fame in June

first_imgLUXEMBURG, Wis. – A trio of former drivers representing stock car racing from the 1970’s through the 1990’s will be inducted into Luxemburg Speedway’s Hall of Fame on June 3, during “Life In The Past Lane” night at the races at the 1/3-mile clay oval. Luxemburg’s own Roy Ihlenfeld and Jerry Jonet, along with Kewaunee’s John Gregorich will be inducted into the speedway’s class of 2016 Hall of Fame during a ceremony at intermission. A number of former track champions from yesteryear will be on hand, along with several restored, vintage racecars. Local author and former track announcer Joe Verdegan of Green Bay will be hosting a book signing of his book Life In The Past Lane, which covers local racing at Luxemburg and other area tracks from the coupe days in the 1950’s through 1980.“I’m excited to get this night going to say the least,” said freshman track promoter Eric Mahlik. “We’re bringing in the Lucky 7 late model series that night. Combined with the vintage cars and drivers it will make for a great Hall of Fame night.” Gregorich dominated the IMCA Stock Car division at Luxemburg in the early 1990’s, winning track championships in 1990, 1992 and 1993. In 1993, Gregorich scored a hat trick, also winning titles at Seymour Tri Oval and Thunder Hill Raceway en route to becoming the first local driver to win IMCA’s national championship, earning 23 features that year. Gregorich drove a Ford owned by Kurt Gretz sponsored by Gagne & Sons Ford of Algoma. Ihlenfeld was a fixture at the track since the early 1980’s, when he raced sprint karts. When the track re-opened in 1987, Ihlenfeld was a frontrunner in a loaded street stock class, which at times saw as many as 40 cars on any given night. Ihlenfeld won the street stock titles in 1987 and 1988. He switched to the IMCA Modifieds in 1988, when he raced both divisions that season. Ihlen­feld retired after the 1999 season. Jonet hung up his racing helmet and parked his 1973 Ford Mustang for good in 1978. He served as a technical inspector for years for Tri Star Promotions and was employed as the head groundskeeper of the Kewaunee County Fairgrounds for more than two decades. A drivers’ meeting covering details on the 2016 season will be held at Bump N’ Uglys adjacent to the Fairgrounds Expo Center on Saturday March 5 at 4 p.m. That meeting will follow the first an­nual Luxemburg racing show from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. at the Fairgrounds Expo building. All drivers and crew members interested in racing at Luxemburg in 2016 are urged to attend.The season will get underway Friday, May 6 at 7 p.m. Luxemburg Speedway is located at the Kewaunee County Fairgrounds in Luxemburg.last_img read more