Barnes & Noble did not immediately return request for comment on this news. B&N is counting its College business as an important factor in NewCo, “NOOK Study software will provide students and educators the preeminent technology platform for the distribution and management of digital education materials in the market.” After announcing plans to possibly spin off its NOOK business in January, Barnes & Noble enters into a partnership with Microsoft. The tech company invested $300 million in the new subsidiary (currently under the working title NewCo), a post-money valuation of $1.7 billion, equating to a 17.6 percent equity stake. Barnes & Noble retains an 82.4 percent ownership of the new subsidiary. This partnership follows the end of an ongoing patent dispute between the companies, as Microsoft previously claimed the use of Android on the NOOK violated its patents. A resolution has since been reached, “Barnes & Noble and Microsoft have settled their patent litigation, and moving forward, Barnes & Noble and NewCo will have a royalty-bearing license under Microsoft’s patents for its NOOK e-reader and tablet products. This paves the way for both companies to collaborate and reach a broader set of customers.” The partnership will “accelerate the transition to e-reading, which is revolutionizing the way people, consume, create, share and enjoy digital content,” according to a company press statement. NewCo will combine Barnes & Nobles’ digital and College businesses, though there is no official plan to completely spin off the business from the parent corporation quite yet, “The company intends to explore all alternatives for how a strategic separation of NewCo may occur. There can be no assurance that the review will result in a strategic separation or the creation of a stand-alone public company, and there is no set timetable for this review.”The company also stated it will not comment further regarding the review “unless and until a decision is made.”One result of the deal is NOOK access for Windows 8 users in the form of an app. William Lynch, CEO of Barnes & Noble, says of the partnership, ““The formation of NewCo and our relationship with Microsoft are important parts of our strategy to capitalize on the rapid growth of the NOOK business, and to solidify our position as a leader in the exploding market for digital content in the consumer and education segments.”
YouTube Culture Gaming 1:25 PewDiePie finally did it. CNET Felix “PewDiePie” Kjellberg reached a monumental goal for a solo YouTuber by reaching 100 million subscribers. This comes months after Indian music video and trailer channel T-Series reached the mark in May. YouTube tweeted the news of PewDiePie’s achievement on Saturday. The Twitter video created by the video platform shows a clip from the first video on his channel from October 2010 and then the dates of various subscriber achievements over his nine-year career. According to analytics site Social Blade, PewDiePie’s subscriber count as of Monday is 100,367,692. PewDiePie said Monday on Twitter he didn’t “feel worthy” and was “grateful.” He then uploaded a video titled “Best Week Ever” in which he talked briefly about his success and then read posts about his wedding from the PewDiePie Submission subreddit. It was last week when PewDiePie married his longtime girlfriend Marzia Bisognin. Post a comment Tags 0 In late 2018, a rivalry began with PewDiePie and T-Series as the Indian channel had briefly become the most subscribed YouTube channel. Fans of PewDiePie rallied in support of the YouTuber who held the title for years. Even Tesla CEO Elon Musk showed his support. The effort was all for naught as T-Series overtook PewDiePie in March and currently sits at 109 million subscribers. Now playing: Watch this: Share your voice PewDiePie’s battle for YouTube supremacy continues
French president Emmnauel Macron talks with French minister for the Armed Forces Florence Parly during a meeting at the Elysee Palace in Paris, France, on 13 October 2017. Photo ReutersFrench President Emmanuel Macron is considering visiting Iran after speaking by phone with his Iranian counterpart as US president said he was “decertifying” the nuclear deal with Tehran, the Elysee presidential office said Friday.Macron told Iranian president Hassan Rouhani that France remained committed to the 2015 nuclear agreement which, besides the USA, was also negotiated with Britain, China, Russia and Germany.“A trip to Iran by the president, at the invitation of president Rouhani, has been considered,” the Elysee said, while the Iranian presidential website said the visit would happen next year.Macron said the US decision “will not put an end to the Iranian nuclear accord and that together all the parties in France and its European partners will continue to meet their commitments.”Rouhani assured Macron that Iran in turn “will continue to carry out its commitments” in the nuclear accord, the Elysee said.The French leader added that it was also necessary to have a dialogue with Iran on other strategic issues including Tehran’s ballistic missile programme and stability in the region.Macron also spoke to Rouhani of his “wish to work with Iran for a lasting political solution to the Syrian crisis.” Tehran is a supporter of president Bashar al-Assad’s regime.Macron’s visit to Iran would be the first by a French head of state or government since 1976. French foreign minister Jean-Yves Le Drian is set to travel to the Islamic Republic in the next few weeks.Earlier on Friday, the leaders of France, Germany and Britain issued a joint statement saying they were “concerned” about Trump’s decision while reiterating their commitment to the deal.
X 00:00 /02:15 Listen Share Amy BishopDegrade, a film by Tarzan and Arab NasserA few of the films in this year’s Houston Palestine Film Festival will strike a chord with the audience, especially one titled, Sara 2014.“It discusses an appalling topic, which is honor killing,” says Khalil Abu Sharekh, president of the HPFF. This is the U.S. premiere for Sara 2014, a film by director Khalil al Mozian, whose work is regarded as being too controversial back home in Gaza.“Unfortunately, it was banned,” Sharekh says. “And Hamas refused to show his film on the big screen.”That’s why most of the films are easier to screen outside of West Bank and Gaza than inside. To the surprise of many, the director was granted a visa to the U.S. to attend the premiere in Houston and is giving a Q&A after the movie.Also in this year’s lineup is Degrade, a story of 13 women who find themselves stuck in a beauty salon as war breaks out in the street. It’s critical of Hamas government, which makes it edgy, Sharekh explains.HPFFScene from Speed Sisters, a film about the first all-female race car driving team in the Middle East.But some of the festival’s films are more lighthearted, such as Speed Sisters, about a team of all-female race car drivers who are competing head-to-head with Palestinian men in the West Bank.This is the HPFF’s largest festival in its ten-year history, spanning three weekends. They’re starting to put more effort into attracting a particular demographic in Houston that’s growing. Specifically, Palestinians who are born and raised here, but struggling to shape and form their own identity as being American-Palestinians.But film has a unique way of breaking through cultural barriers while delivering powerful messages.“People want to share their stories,” Sharekh says. “People want the world to hear their voices. And there’s no better way than through art.”The festival runs through May 28th at the Rice University Media Center. To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code:
Houston’s skyline continues to change with the addition of new high-rise residences.Houston First operates the city’s performing arts and convention facilities. Since last September, Dawn Ullrich had been asked by the board about her retirement plans. She finally gave notice that she’d retire at the end of 2018, but the board accepted that as an immediate resignation. Her attorney is former Houston City Attorney David Feldman.“Well, she didn’t resign. She just announced that she was going to retire at the end of the year.”Mayor Sylvester Turner said Ullrich sent emails announcing her retirement without approval from the board, even as negotiations were taking place.“But I wish Dawn well. She’s been with the city a long time, and she’s been a dedicated servant to the City of Houston, but ultimately I support the decision of the board.”Ullrich has been a city employee for 40 years. There’s no appeal process, and attorney Feldman said he can’t reveal what — if any — legal actions are planned. Listen X Share 00:00 /00:53 To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code:
Photo captured from Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner’s Twitter feed / @SylvesterTurnerMayor Sylvester Turner talks about the importance of staying cool and hydrated during the hot summer months in Houston during a press conference held on June 15, 2018.Reliant, in collaboration with the City of Houston, is rolling out for the 13th year the “Beat the Heat” initiative, which will provide 16 cooling centers across Texas, the majority of them in Houston.Houston will specifically have 11 cooling centers, which are free of charge and will be located at all of the Multi-Service Centers managed by the City. They will feature air-conditioned spaces, bottled water, light snacks and entertainment and will be operative until the end of September.During a press conference held at the West End Multi-Service Center, Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner acknowledged there are Houstonians who have to work outdoors during the hot summer months, for example because they are construction workers, and noted: “I want to remind those who do work, play or exercise outdoors to stay hydrated and if you must go outside don’t do it during the hottest part of the day.”We should all remain alert to heat advisories. This summer let us all keep an eye on each other, especially our seniors and those without airconditioners. Thank you @reliantenergy for being a great corporate partner. Visit our 11 cooling centers throughout Houston. #beattheheat pic.twitter.com/IvkDm1a8mY— Sylvester Turner (@SylvesterTurner) June 15, 2018Turner also touched on the serious risks of leaving children, senior citizens or pets unattended in vehicles because of the high temperatures they quickly reach and, therefore, the health risks –including death— they can be exposed to. “Every summer we say this, but I cannot say it enough: Let’s not leave children or senior citizens or pets in vehicles unattended,” the Mayor underscored.As part of the initiatives being implemented this summer to help the community deal with the high summer temperatures, the Harris County Area Agency on Aging will distribute portable air conditioning units and the City’s Health Department will distribute portable power stations. Those interested in receiving a unit should call 832-393-4301.For a complete list of the cooling centers that are part of the “Beat the Heat” initiative in Texas (including Corpus Christi and Dallas), click here.Press Conference: 13th annual @nrgenergy and @HoustonHealth #BeatTheHeat Summer Kickoff is https://t.co/U3dOIhlcuq— Sylvester Turner (@SylvesterTurner) June 15, 2018 Share